In the late nineteenth century, Pittsburgh’s first plant conservatory was established on the National Aviary site, in a location previously occupied by the Western Penitentiary from 1826 to 1880. The conservatory was destroyed by a natural gas explosion in the late 1920s, and in 1952 was rebuilt by the City of Pittsburgh with the addition of birds to the indoor gardens. The National Aviary was one of the first zoos to present its collection in free-flight rooms and natural exhibits with over 25,000 square feet of space.
HOURS The National Aviary is open seven days a week, 364 days a year*, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.. *Closed Christmas Day.
SUMMER HOURS Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
from May 24 through September 1.